Treating Sciatica Pain at home
How do I relieve my Sciatica Pain at home???
Sciatic pain is one of the most prevalent problems faced by people. Sciatic pain is the pain and discomfort that radiates along the sciatic nerve. The nerve is present from the lower back, runs through the hips, buttocks and down each the leg.
Common causes of Sciatica can include narrowing of the spine canal – this is called spinal stenosis, another possible cause is a ruptured disk.
There are several exercises and devices to use as a Sciatica treatment at home. A lot of other people choose to mix our devices with a mix of exercises and other things to help relieve pain.
We have two extremely popular devices for Sciatica, one of these is our Tens Machine for Sciatica and another one is our Ultrasound Therapy for Sciatica pain. Both of been highly recommended, it is really the preference of the user to decide on which device suits them.
What is the best treatment for Sciatica?
If you choose to go down the route of devices to help, we recommend two device that are fantastic to help relieve pain.
Premier Tens - Tens Machine for Sciatica
One of our most popular Tens Machines is commonly bought by those suffering from Sciatica as there is a program designed to assist with pain relief.
Programme 2 is our program designed for sciatica relief – once the electrodes are placed on the area of pain, the tens machine will begin sending electrical impulses through the body to the nerve endings and the brain reacts by sending endorphins along the sciatic nerve (the body’s natural pain relief).
The cost of the tens unit is £55.90
Find out more here
Ultrasound Device - 1 Mhz Ultrasound Therapy Machine
The Med-Fit Pro Ultrasound Device is portable and an effective therapeutic massager. The device penetrates through your skin, targets tissue and muscle to relieve pain through its special transducer head. The devices are heavily used by physical therapists, chiropractors and sports medicine professionals, however people are now using these devices at home as they’re affordable and portable!
The cost of the unit varies between £99 - £118
Find out more here
What exercises are good to relieve Sciatica pain?
Sitting Spinal Stretch
The pain from Sciatica is usually triggered when the vertebrae in the spine compresses. This exercise and stretch helps create the space in the spine that helps relieve pressure on the nerve that causes sciatic pain.
So how do you do it?
- Sit on the ground with your legs extended straight out with your feet facing upwards.
- Begin bending your left knee and place your foot flat on the ground on the outside of the opposite knee.
- Begin placing your elbow on the outside of your left knee to help you gently turn your body left.
- Hold this position for around 30 seconds and repeat it three times. Once complete – switch sides.
This exercise / stretch is to help relieve sciatic pain by loosening the piriformis muscle and the gluteal. These can become inflamed and pressed against the sciatic nerve which causes quite a bit of pain.
So how do you do it?
- Begin lying on your back with your legs fully extended and your feet facing upwards.
- Bend your left leg and clasp your hand around your knee.
- Very gently pull your left leg across your body and towards your right shoulder.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and remember to pull your knee as far as you can go comfortably – aiming for pain relief rather than additional pain.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat this 3 times and then switch legs.
Are there any options through Nutrition to assist with Sciatica pain?
There are certainly other additional options to assist with the reduction in pain from sciatica – one of these is nutrition.
- Micronutrients and Supplements
Supplements are designed to help build up micronutrients in the body which may not be fully obtained during a regular diet. To give an example of these:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B6
And many more.
These nutrients help relieve and suppress the inflammatory processes. To give an example, The B group of vitamins help improve nerve health and reduce sciatica pains.
What other treatments are available to relieve my sciatica pain?