18 Benefits of TENS Machine
Table of Content:
- Introduction to TENS Machine
- The Importance of a TENS Machine in Relieving Pain
- Benefits of TENS Machine
- Pain Relief
- Non-Invasive Technique
- Effective and Efficient Complementary Therapy
- Portable Easy to Use Machine
- Increased Circulation Healing
- Improved Sleep Patterns
- Benefits for Spasms Knots
- Decreases Pain Signals
- Increased Motion and Function
- Natural Massager
- Retrains Nerves Effectively
- Reduced Inflammation
- Quicker Rehabilitation and Reduced Fear
- Less Fatigue and Tiredness
- Affordable Pain Relief Solution
- Pain Relief without Medication
- Effective for a Plethora of Conditions
- No Adverse Effect
Introduction to TENS Machine
The TENS device is similar to an EMS system, though their nature of working differs from each other considerably. The Tens machine produces electrical muscle stimulation that focuses only on sensory nerve endings that control pain caused by spasms and injury. With the help of electronic current passing through muscles, the brain releases endorphins into the body to reduce the pain felt by the patient. Also, the current blocks signal to pain receptors in the brain about the hurt caused to the muscles. This aids endorphins to do their healing job better.
The Tens machine was earlier found only in medical institutes, or in physiotherapy centers owing to their high price. But now the Tens machine can be purchased for different therapy situations and used at home too.
The Importance of a TENS Machine in Relieving Pain
From allaying pain to nerve retraining, a Tens unit can help users to bear the pain and even get on the path to wellness. There are several uses of the Tens unit since it generates electrical impulses that strike a body part and then affects the nervous system. The nerves get stimulated and also provide relief to a person who is suffering from pain in that region.
The treatment focuses on delivering short-term relief from pain by applying sensory level stimulation tropes that distract pain signals and triggers motor level stimulation.
There are many uses of the Tens unit, but it needs to be subjected to one body region at a time, for best results. Results have been quite positive for those suffering from osteoarthritis pain. The tens unit has been utilized widely as a pain inhibitor, especially during dental procedures. The University of Washington Orthopedics and Sports Medicine also admit that the Tens machine can also reduce inflammation of muscle fibers and even reduce nerve pain, and sciatica too.
Benefits of TENS Machine:
- Pain Relief: The primary advantage of using a TENS machine is nerve stimulation to distract pain centers and thus reduce the feeling of chronic pain. From back to arm pain, one can rely on a Tens unit to derive relief naturally. The impulses then aid in the release of endorphins that relieves pain naturally without any side-effects.
- Non-Invasive Technique: The Tens machine is a noninvasive technique to treat pain, starting with temporary to long-lasting relief. The electrical stimulation also does not intrude in any body part and cause harm of any sort.
- Effective and Efficient Complementary Therapy: A TENS unit can work as an effective complementary therapy to diverse kinds of intensive treatments. For example, a 2015 study that studied women suffering from pelvic pain related to endometriosis, credited TENS units as an effective complementary treatment to the intensive hormone treatment.
- Portable & Easy to Use Machine: Tens machine is advanced tools that are perfect for domestic use. Place the pads on the muscle that requires stimulation, and the machine will work wonders. Unlike complicated units of the past, they are easy to use and set up. Users need to choose the right setting so that they can use it well.
- Increased Circulation & Healing: The Tens machine also overrides or blocks signals from nerves to the brain and thus aids in enhancing the local circulation of blood and increase the functionality.
- Improved Sleep Patterns: Reduced pain can aid your body to relax without having to worry about the injury or spasm at night. Hence one of the uses of a Tens unit is that your sleep quality will be better.
- Benefits for Spasms & Knots: With the machine, you can relax your overworked muscles that have become knots. TENS units are one of the best treatment options that can help out with spasms and knots owing to its pain alleviating effects. Knots and spasms tighten the muscles in the place of injury to protect the area from further harm. TENS machines ease the pain and reduce the tightness. A recent study revealed that TENS therapy coupled with stretching therapy could be really effective in reducing the hardness of muscles resulting in a better range of motion.
- Decreases Pain Signals: A TENS unit can help to reduce or block pain signals, ensuring pain relief immediately. The machine stimulates the nerves to decrease the pain signals, and the same stimulation blocks the signals from reaching the brain.
- Increased Motion and Function: The TENS unit can be used with other treatment forms, and in pain can be used as a part of relaxation therapy, guided imagery, physiotherapy, and even for spinal manipulation for better motion and function of your body.
- Natural Massager: Many companies are offering Tens units as massages and pain relievers with different intensity levels based on how you want to attend to your muscles internally. Even standard units are easy enough for users to essentially massage themselves anytime.
- Retrains Nerves Effectively: While reducing pain signals, many studies reveal that a TENS machine can retrain nerves, especially for those who are suffering from some nerve damage. Additionally, as mentioned above, the use of the TENS machine will also stop the nerve from sending pain signals to the brain.
- Reduced Inflammation: Inflammation causes huge discomfort and pain to the body. With proper stimulation, tens machine can aid in reducing inflammation happening deep within the muscle fibers. Tens machine can also help in relieving pain from pinched nerves, sciatica, and back pain.
- Quicker Rehabilitation and Reduced Fear: Pain can easily lead to fear even for doing any task during the day. Without redressal of pain, the time taken for rehabilitation becomes even longer or leads the person to develop a phobia that restricts their movements and activity. One of the uses of Tens units is that users can reduce inflammation and redness pain, thus getting back to their regular level of activity. A person then can truly live their daily life without any unwarranted fear, using their complete level of strength without having to worry about muscle atrophy. With a Tens unit, people suffering from advanced knee and back pain can get back to normalcy way faster than the others.
- Less Fatigue and Tiredness: Fatigue is sure to affect everyone having a hectic life, but one is so focused on energy to bear up the pain, that one is easily tired after a long day at work. The Tens unit helps in stimulating muscles and nerves and thus reduce fatigue levels drastically.
- Affordable Pain Relief Solution: Many health gadgets found in the market are quite pricey, and not many can afford such gadgets to boost health. The Tens machine is significantly less priced and way more effective than others.
- Pain Relief without Medication: People keep on popping pills and painkillers to address their painful body parts. But with a Tens unit, one can achieve pain relief naturally as it triggers the body to respond by sending endorphins and start healing quickly.
- Effective for a Plethora of Conditions: A TENS unit is proven to be effective for the treatment of different conditions. It has particularly been highly effective in allaying back and knee pain while providing relief to people suffering from different forms of arthritis. A TENS machine can be used by people who are suffering from urinary incontinence too as well as those who are suffering from mental health conditions, including depression and anxiety.
- No Adverse Effect: Since it is not an invasive machine, the Tens unit can help scores of people who have to work day in and day out to withstand the pain of different types. It can relieve pain in a jiffy allowing the body to respond naturally.
Current TENS machines are small and handy in comparison to the Tens machines used in the past. You can carry them in a backpack or keep it near your desk in a drawer. Compared to other pain relieving devices like massagers or inversion tables, Tens machines are highly convenient to use.
A research in 2014 revealed that TENS can treat both acute and chronic pain effectively and chosen as a treatment for those looking for a drug-free option with no side-effects. For example, a research project published in 2015 revealed the side effects of pain medication on a patient’s mental and physical well-being.
With multiple benefits offered by a Tens machine, one can actually get a Tens unit for them to decrease pain without any side-effects.