Neck Pain and Reasons
Computers and smartphones mostly govern our life. In no time soon we will become complete slaves of the gadgets. The reports from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention shows that the ratio of people experiencing severe neck pain has been increasing in recent times.
Due to poor postures at work, it is likely the neck muscles, and joints might rupture. According to a study by NIH (National Institute of Health), neck pain may impact the emotional and psychological state of a person.
Neck pain in any form can distract you throughout the day and can even impact your work performance. It can also limit the ability to focus on your work. Today, several treatments can cure mild or severe neck pains. Some are:
TENS Electrical Pain Relief
Acupuncture and Many More.
Choose your treatment wisely considering all the benefits, side-effects, and your budget.
Causes of Neck Pain:
- Poor Posture:
A very common cause of neck pain is poor posture. We spend most hours of our day looking at the devices. As per a recent study, around 79% of the people between the age group of 18 to 44 use their smartphones and devices regularly with a break of nearly 2 hours.
All you need is adopting a good posture. It might require conscious correction but only for a short time. Once, you adapt it, and you can see the good results.
- Soft Tissue Injury:
Neck and shoulder ligaments, muscles and tendons are more prone to the injury from whiplash and other such injuries. These conditions may become acute or chronic depending on their severity.
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Radiculopathy:
Any sort of physical overexertion can cause pain, irritation or tingling. It is always advisable to consult a physician and undergo physical therapy.
This occurs in case of a fall or a car accident, resulting in a broken neck. This causes the seven cervical vertebrae to fracture. Some severe accidents can damage or rupture the neck muscles. The first thing to do is consult a physician and as per his advice get an X-ray of your neck.
Generally, the treatment involves wearing a cervical brace for a period of 60 weeks to 3 months. Later, as per the treatment, you can undergo physical therapy for a full recovery.
Here are some of the best options for treatment of all sorts of neck pain. We advise you to have a look for choosing a better, effective, safe and convenient treatment to get rid of your neck pain.
- Neck Exercise & Stretching: Exercises can also prove beneficial in strengthening the muscles and treat neck pain. Our neck comprises a complex neural network of muscles. So, stretching can help reduce tightening, loosen the muscles, and alleviate neck pain.
- Electronic Pain Relief (TENS Unit): Tens Unit is an effective treatment for severe neck pain. It provides electrical stimulation, thus confusing the pain signals. This provides instant pain relief. Some units are designed to treat shoulder, back and neck pain.
- Adjustment of Postures and Sleep Positions:Your sleeping position and postures can be a common reason for neck pain. Try different sleeping positions, change your pillow that has a surplus filling and supports your neck position. If your neck suffers chronic pain in the morning, one possible reason is improper sleep position.
- Light Therapy:A photo-bio-stimulation is a therapy that uses light efficiently. This causes body tissues to heal the ruptured tissues by exhibiting some complex biochemical responses. Many sports medicine specialists and physiotherapists use this treatment in the form of LEDs and Laser lights to treat the chronic and acute muscular injuries.
- Pain Relievers: For instant relief, pain relievers can be a good option. There are many over-the-counter medicines such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin and others to treat neck pain. However, they may give temporary relief and might not be the solution for severe types of neck pain. Consult your doctor or therapist before intake of any such medicines or narcotic pain relievers.
- Cervical Traction: This is a neck stretch exercise often performed by body workers and osteopaths. The traction decompresses the vertebrate giving a sigh of relief from neck pain. The best part is you can also watch the videos available online and practice at home. Also, there are a lot of gadgets available.
- Ergonomics: Improper sleeping positions and work postures can be the cause of neck pain. If you work in an office, make sure to set up your monitors on a stand and bring them to an eye-to-eye level. This helps in keeping your position straight while working.
- Myofascial Release: A regular neck massage can prove beneficial in reducing stiffness, pain and limit the mobility. You can use the Neck-Track at your home at any time. Treat them at the right time to reduce major injuries.
You can try some of these simple remedies for minor neck pain:
Taking pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can always be an option.
Get some ice and apply it over the painful area. Continue to do so for a period of 2 to 5 days.
Take your heating pad or take hot showers or compresses. To avoid any kind of skin injuries, make sure you do not fall asleep with the ice bag or the heating pad.
Do light exercises. This helps in stretching the neck muscles gently.
Try getting a gentle massage over the painful areas.
Avoid jerks or any painful activities. Keep moving since it helps to reduce the inflammation and calm symptoms effectively.
Try sleeping on a solid mattress with a special neck pillow or without as per your choice.
Do not hesitate to consult your healthcare provider about using a soft neck collar. This helps in relieving discomfort. Also, it is recommended not to use it for a longer period of time as it can weaken the neck muscles.
Hope these tips help you in relieving and recovering from your neck pain. But for significant neck pain, do consult with your doctor before it gets worse.